This month, the Definitive(ly) Good Guide to Restaurants Awards Ceremony celebrated the outstanding achievement of Malta and Gozo’s top survey-rated restaurants. The rankings were voted by diners, who participated in the Malta & Gozo Restaurant Survey online. Based on popular vote, only 150 restaurants made it to the latest 2019 edition of The Definitive(ly) Good Guide to Restaurants in Malta & Gozo and its official portal.
Dinner in the Sky – Maltawere rated Top Overall restaurant for 2019. In the short time since its inception, this gastronomy experience has clearly captured the imagination of adventurous diners rating high on all counts – food, ambience and service. This year’s Malta and Gozo Restaurant Survey, conducted in September, returned 3,153 responses. Participants dined out on average one to two times a week, equivalent to a total of 245,934 dining experiences in a year. This year sees 26 new restaurants in the The Definitive(ly) Good Guide to Restaurants in Malta and Gozo and its portal.
Influencers – Jean Paul Farrugia,Sarah Zerafa, Caroline Paris
The results were revealed by Lisa Grech, managing director of the Definitive(ly) Good Guide Co, and presented by Clint Camilleri, Parl. Sec. for Agriculture, Fisheries and Animal Rights, as well as Mr Sergio Bellizzi from HSBC, Mr Ray Zammit from Global Payments, and Mr Mark Ciantar of Continental Purchasing on behalf of Villeroy & Boch, who supplied the beautiful commemorative award plates for the occasion.
Award winning restaurants were chosen from the highest rated ones, both overall, and in the various price categories for Malta and Gozo, taking into account individual Food, Service and Ambience ratings, the number of people rating, value for money, comments and other data from the survey.
Eve’s publisher Daniel Scicluna at the award ceremony, with Laura Mačiulskaitė
Additional Awards were made to:
• Best Food (sponsored by Decante represented by Attard & Co Food Ltd) – Root 81
• Best Service (sponsored by C& H Bartoli) – Dinner in the Sky Malta
• Best Ambience (sponsored by Design Hub) – Dinner in the Sky Malta
• Best Maltese Food – Gululu
• Restaurant Most Dedicated to Supporting Local (sponsored by The Parliamentary Secretariat for Agriculture, Fisheries and Animal Rights) – Country Terrace
• The Best Chef Award (sponsored by Pentole Agnelli represented exclusively by The Catering Centre) – Marvin Gauci
• Best Business Entertainment (sponsored by Rummo) – Caviar & Bull
• Most Romantic Restaurant (sponsored by Churchill represented exclusively by The Catering Centre) – Palazzo Preca
• Best Value for Money – iPlace
• Best Restaurant offering Vegetarian options (Jimmy Vella Fruit & Veg. Ltd & Le Breton) – Taro
• Most Children-Friendly (sponsored by the Malta Baby & Kids Directory) – iPlace
• Best Newcomer – The Chef’s Table
• Best Restroom – districtfive
• And in memory of Colin Best – co-founder of the Restaurant Guide. – The Colin Best Award for the Most Consistently Outstanding Restaurant in Malta & Gozo for 2017/2018 –The Medina.
The Definitive(ly) Good Guide to Restaurants in association with Riedel, The Wine Glass Company Wine Awards were as follows:
• The People’s Choice Wine List (taken from the results of the returned surveys – districtfive.
• The Riedel Wine Experience of the Year – Tarragon
• Wine List of the Year – Ristorante La Vela
• Commended Wine Lists were: Cent’Anni, Country Terrace, one80 Kitchen & Lounge, Miro
• The Best Maltese Wine List (sponsored by The Parliamentary Secretariat for Agriculture, Fisheries and Animal Rights) – Ristorante La Vela
The results of the Restaurant Survey can be found in the 2019 edition of The Definitive(ly) Good Guide to Restaurants in Malta and Gozo and is now available to purchase online for 8 Euros at www.restaurantsmalta.com which includes the Guide online and a free hard copy in the post. It is also available at leading stationers and bookshops in Malta and Gozo.