Students at Stagecoach Theatre Arts School (Malta) have recently triumphed at the second edition of the Summer Short Play Festival, where the young participants were given the opportunity to produce, direct and perform in a series of productions.
Now in its second year, the festival was held at the Malta Drama Unit and was coordinated by Ms Maxine Aquilina, presenting four one-act plays. Each piece was then adjudicated by a panel of judges, and awards were presented to the students that excelled in the categories of Most Promising Female and Male Actor, Best Female and Male Actor, Best Director, Best Production, and Audience Favourite. The festival was adjudicated by Jo Caruana, Thomas Camilleri, Laura Wyatt O’Keeffe and Marc Antolin.
“The Stagecoach One-Act Play Festival was an idea conceived last year to give our students an exciting opportunity to create work over the summer holidays,” explains Ms Aquilina. “The students began by choosing whether they wanted to direct or act, and the directors then selected the scripts they wanted to work with. It was then their responsibility to drive the piece through rehearsals, and to get it ready to present to an audience and panel of judges. They handled everything, from the set and costumes to the lighting and music, and it was an opportunity for them to learn about the work that really goes into taking a show to the stage.”
While the adjudicators commended all the participants for their high standards, prizes were awarded as follows:
– Best Female Actor: Cody Charlie Calleja
– Best Male Actor: Adam Ryan Ali Farag
– Most Promising Male Actor: Benjamin Tonna
– Most Promising Female Actor: Leah Davies
– Best Director: Nicholas Galea
– Best Production: Look for the Silver Lining by Cheryl Barrett, directed by Raquel Theuma. Cast: Matthew Cassar, Amy Grech, Kacey Wadge and Kimberley Agius
– People’s Choice Award: Mirror Mirror by Bruce Kane, directed by Mikaela Vella. Cast: Adriel Camilleri, Cody Charlie Calleja, Lara Bugeja, Matteo Caruana Bond, Gabriel Camilleri.
For information can be found on the Stagecoach Theatre Arts Schools (Malta) website.