If the Harry Potter series had been based in Malta, it would have been a very different time for Harry, Hermoine and Ron…
– There would be no Hogwarts Express. Parents would insist on driving their kids to Hogwarts every morning, adding to the existing traffic.
– Owls would have a protective spell cast over them as soon as they’re born to prevent them from being shot by hunters.
– The Weasley’s Ford Anglia would have as much chance of being shot by the above mentioned hunters, as well as by those whose cars can’t fly.
– The Sorting Hat would actually be a panama hat and would give financial advice to students.
– Wizard robes for the Yule Ball would be bought from ASOS.
– The entrance to Diagon Alley would be through the back of a każin tal-banda.
– Fluffy would have been moved to Montekristo Estates.
– The Weird Sisters would play at several festivals… and no one would question it.
– Dolores Umbridge’s punishment would have resulted in a mother going to Hogwarts and punching her square in the face.
– There would have been about 25 episodes of the wizarding world version of Xarabank dedicated to the rise and fall of Voldemort, with squibs explaining the magic used to bring him down.
– Aunt Petunia would watch Strada Stretta.
– Textbooks for Hogwarts would be free, and students would have a monthly stipend to spend on Butterbeer and chocolate frogs. They’d also receive a 5,000 galleon grant at the beginning of their course to purchase a standard broomstick, a pet, quills, parchment and potions… but instead, they’d buy a Nimbus 2000.
– There would be a Facebook group called The Kaldarun where people would complain about how spells backfired, post links to The Daily Prophet, and ask if anyone wanted to buy a second-hand broomstick.
Is there anything else that would have been different?
Let us know in the comments section below.