Screaming babies somewhere behind you, a bickering couple in front of you, here are some tips on how to safely survive a plane journey (and I’m not talking about adopting the brace position…).
- Unless you’re secretly carrying around a relic from the Stone Age (in which case, good luck getting that through security!) the chances are that your phone / laptop / ipad / ipod etc. will have flight mode and you should definitely make the most of this. Download enough music, TV shows and films to keep you busy for a good portion of your flight and it’ll be over before you know it.
- Stock up on magazines, magazines, magazines!
- If you’re going on a girls’ holiday with your friends, don’t forget to stock up on alcohol from Duty Free. You can take it on the plane and if you split the cost between you, it works out a lot cheaper than on flight drinks!
- Invest in some decent ear plugs; there’s a good chance that after your flight you’ll still have some travelling to do, so try and fight the tiredness and irritability with some rest.
- Consider trying to actually sleep during the flight. You will then wake up refreshed once the journey is over.
- If the thought of flying absolutely terrifies you or makes you ill, seek medical advice as to what would be most beneficial for you to overcome your anxiety and calm you down.
- Food! If plane food isn’t for you then make sure you purchase some decent snacks to take on the flight with you. It might be a bit pricey but believe me, stuffing your face with a variety of chocolate throughout the journey is not a good idea, even if it seems like an amazing one at the time.
Of course, every flight and every person is different, so generally it’s just important to find out what works for you and to stick with it. For most people, flights are an unavoidable part of life so it’s best to make the most of it when you can.
And remember the flight will not last forever!