Life is full of ups and downs and there may come days when nothing seems to be going right. The urge most of us get when in this situation is to comfort-eat and then feel guilty about it afterwards. Fear not however – below you will find 10 foods that you can happily munch away at when you are feeling blue as not only will they satisfy your cravings but they will also help improve your mood!
1. Chocolate – A lot of you may be singing with joy at the link between chocolate and good health. Dark chocolate can help improve cognitive function, it can prevent Alzheimer’s and dementia and it can also boost your mood in a matter of minutes. The darker the chocolate you consume, the better! Moreover, dark chocolate also slows down the production of stress hormones, so anxiety levels automatically decrease!
2. Berries – Berries are filled with antioxidants which help promote positive energy which will in turn help you battle depressive feelings. Berries also stimulate the production of “feel-good enzymes” in the brain and can prevent a variety of potentially fatal diseases, such as cancer.
3. Green Tea – Like berries, green tea is also very rich in antioxidants, amino acids and L-theanine which are all known for reducing stress and anxiety whilst improving the mood. If consumed on a regular basis, green tea can give a feeling of overall well-being.
4. Bananas – Bananas contain high amounts of vitamins and minerals which are all mood-boosting. You can easily add a banana to your milkshake or eat them raw – regardless of how you choose to consume them – bananas can fight depression.
5. Walnuts – Walnuts are known to improve cell health due to the fact that they are the richest nuts in essential fats. Besides the fact that they elevate mood, ten walnuts a day can optimize the cell wall composition and lower blood cholesterol levels, which will automatically improve blood circulation, fight depression and give an overall sense of happiness and well-being.
6. Avocados – Avocados contain good, healthy fats that are known for increasing endorphins. They are perfect for lifting your mood whenever you are feeling blue!
7. Poultry – Chicken and turkey are very rich in tyrosine, an amino acid that helps the body cope with stress more efficiently.
8. Dark Leafy Greens – Consuming dark leafy greens can also help treat anxiety and depression due to the high amounts of folic acid, which elevates low mood and reduces fatigue as well.
9. Eggs – Eggs (especially egg yolk) also come in handy when you try to fight depression and improve your state of mind. Eggs are very rich in Vitamin D, which in turn stimulates the production of serotonin in the brain.
10. Sardines – Numerous studies have revealed the fact that people who are deficient in Omega 3 and Omega 6 are far more susceptible to anxiety and depression than those who have normal levels of fatty acids in the body. Sardines are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, and this elevates the mood and keeps the brain healthy in the long run.