There is a key difference between tartan and plaid. A plaid is a piece of fabric whereas a tartan is a type of pattern that was created to represent a Scottish clan. Whether you love it or hate it, the tartan trend has made its cut this fall and it seems like it’s here to stay. If you decide to go for the tartan look, be careful not to overstep your boundaries since it is not an easy look to style. You don’t want to end up being mistaken as wearing the Scottish kilt either. Here are some tips and styles that might be useful if you are thinking of braving the look.
1. If you want to make the most of the last summery days, go for a tartan patterned skater dress together with a belt around the waist and your favourite flats. For those chilly nights, finish the look with a fitted blazer.
2. A tartan satchel is a foolproof excuse to splurge on another shopping spree. A girl can never have too many bags and this is the perfect accessory to stand out in a simple outfit.
3. Having a jacket in this particular pattern will automatically place you in fashion’s good books. Together with the must-have black skinny jeans and riding boots, this outfit is faultless for the fall.
4. The tartan shoes! Be it heels or flats, these beauties will make your feet look glamorous. Wear heels with a killer dress and style those denim jeans with the flats. Ladies, these shoes won’t disappoint.
5. For those of you who are not too keen on the tartan trend but would not like to abandon it completely, try going for a tartan top. Alternatively, you could always wear a plain top with tartan patterns on the shoulders.
Also remember that a tartan pattern is not limited to solely a red and black pattern but can consist of different variations. Have fun with the look. Everybody needs a little tartan in their lives!