Although the general idea is that make-up lasts forever, that old wives’ tale couldn’t be farther away from the truth!
Make-up, like everything else, tends to go bad after some time. So, pluck up the courage… delve into your make-up cabinet and toss out all the make-up that’s past their sell-by date. This is a very important thing to do as using expired make-up will lead to nothing good – only skin irritation, breakouts and infections!
Here are the approximate shelf lives of various make-up products and tools that you can use as estimates to help you out:
- Foundation – A water-based foundation will usually last up to a year whilst an oil-based foundation will last up to 18 months. A sure-proof way to determine whether your foundation has gone bad or not is simply to smell it – if it smells funny or bad, toss it!
- Concealer – Concealers usually last for up to a year.
- Face powder – Powders have quite a long shelf life and will usually expire after 2 years.
- Eye-shadows – Eye-shadows can last up to 3 years, depending on how much you care for them.
- Pencil eye-liners – Pencil eye-liners will usually last up to 3 years.
- Mascara – Mascara that has gone bad will start to smell pretty bad so you should realise that it has expired soon enough. However, as a rule, throw out mascara after 4 months from first usage! A useful tip to prevent your mascara from expiring before its sell-by date is by avoiding pumping the wand in and out of the tube; this would expose the product to drying air, leading to a faster expiration!
- Lip liners – These would normally last up to 3 years.
- Lipstick – There is no hard and fast rule to when lipstick should be thrown out, however, my advice is – once it smells and tastes bad, then throw it out!
- Make-up sponges – It is important to wash sponges weekly and dispense of them monthly. This rule would obviously depend on how often you use them to apply make-up.
- Make-up Brushes – Wash monthly to get rid of excess make-up and to avoid the build-up of bacteria. This will help you avoid breakouts and skin irritation.
- Nail polish – The lifeline of a nail polish is usually 12 months, however once you see the polish getting flaky, then you would know that its time is up!
So what are you waiting for?! It’s time to feng shui your make-up cabinet! And all this has a positive result to it… not only will you have gotten rid of harmful products, but you will also have an excuse to buy new ones!!