You’ve been good so far keeping your new years resolution regarding the gym and you’ve even been sticking to a healthy diet, so looking forward to the beach season should be no problem at all right? Except for one thing – your stomach has a life of its own and couldn’t care less about your new summer dress and how it looks. It sure sucks when everything feels good, but your tummy is going from flat to bloated from one day to another – without any warning.
Follow these small and simple but rewarding steps, make them an everyday routine, and I’m very sure you’ll soon have a happier tummy!
- Avoid IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) triggering fruits. When you make an effort to be healthy by preparing or buying a fresh smoothie you are on the right track, but if you have a sensitive stomach, certain fruits will actually do more harm than good. Stay clear of fruits naturally high in sorbitol, such as green apples, pears, plums, prunes, raspberries and cherries. Instead go for strawberries, banana, pineapple, watermelon, blueberry, etc.
- Avoid all kinds of sweeteners. You know you find them in soft drinks and energy drinks but remember they are also hidden in other places such as ketchup and other condiments (as fructose), chewing gum and certain sweets.
- All kinds of dairy are a common trigger for a bloated stomach. The sugar in cow’s milk is usually the culprit, so it’s connected to the above. Make small changes if you are sensitive to lactose but not necessarily intolerant. Ask to have the cheese removed from the pizza (it’s still good believe me), choose sorbet instead of ice cream and swop to dairy-free options for products such as milk, butter spread and cooking cream. Remember also that some crisps and crackers sometimes contain milk powder.
- Drink a cup of stomach friendly tea once or twice a day, such as fennel or peppermint.
- Add a table spoon of apple cider vinegar daily to your water glass/bottle, or find a suitable digestive option in tablet form at a health store.
- Eat slowly. Give the food a chance to digest and keep your tummy happy