Let’s face it… many of us have faced problems when trying to choose the right foundation shade and most of us, including myself, have at some point or another, ended up buying the wrong shade. So here are some tips which will hopefully help you all pick out your perfect shade without too much trouble:
- Determine your skin type. If you have oily skin, then look for “oil-free” or “mattifying” foundations, whilst if you have dry skin, look for “hydrating” or “moisture-rich” foundations.
- Determine what kind of coverage you need from your foundation. For an everyday look, I would recommend a light to medium coverage. If you need extra coverage because of spots or simply because you have a photoshoot, then I would recommend a medium to heavy coverage.
- Do NOT wear foundation on your face when you are shopping for a new foundation. Testing one shade on another will only misguide you!
- Look for a shade that is closest as possible to your skin tone. Dab a small amount of the product along your jawline and blend. Contrary to popular belief, your wrist or hand aren’t the best spots to test a foundation shade.
- Move over to some place with natural sunlight and inspect the foundation shade there. If the foundation has blended well with your face and seems to almost disappear, then mission accomplished you have found your perfect shade.
Also, don’t forget to have different shades of foundation for winter and summer … When your face colour changes, so should your foundation colour!