Knowing your skin type is an absolute must! Whether you are choosing face or make-up products, knowing what type of skin you have will allow you to choose the most suitable products for you.
There are five basic skin types. In order to determine which one you are, simply wipe your face with a clean, facial tissue first thing in the morning and see which of the following applies to you –
- Normal – This type of skin is the least problematic of them all. It does not reveal any traces of oil, feels vibrant, elastic and supple, looks clean and smooth and has great circulation.
- Dry – Dry skin will feel flaky, dry and tight when cleaned. It can easily develop a sallow tone as well as wrinkles and fine pores. Unfortunately, this skin type is very prone to ageing and irritation and therefore it is of paramount importance to take good care of it and to keep it regularly moisturised.
- Oily – As its name indicates, such skin over-produces oil and usually looks greasy, thick, coarse and shiny. It has enlarged pores and tends to induce breakouts. However, a positive thing about this kind of skin type is that it is not prone to ageing and wrinkling. Careful cleaning and the avoidance of rich creams can help improve this type of skin. Blotting paper will also help you control the extra sheen.
- Combination – This is probably the commonest skin type and has both oily and dry patches. Dry zones are usually located on the cheeks and around the eyes and should be treated with rich creams and moisturisers. On the other hand, oily areas are usually around the forehead and nose area.
- Sensitive – This type of skin is usually very dry and tends to feel tight, itchy and tingly. It also tends to become inflamed and irritated easily and is prone to breakouts. Sensitive skin needs a special type of care so ensure that you purchase the right products for it!